- This event has passed.
Raising Race-Conscious Children Workshop
June 2 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm$50
Many of us (especially those of us who are white) were raised to not talk about race, but when we don’t talk about race and racism, our children are left with lots of questions and little framework for understanding racism in our society. Join educators Naomi Skoglund and Sarah MacLaughlin for this interactive workshop for parents* about raising race-conscious children.
*This workshop is focused on reaching out to parents who are either white or who have not been forced to grapple with the reality of racism in most of their daily lives. Any parent/caregiver who wants to attend is welcome and we include resources for talking with kids of all races, including transracial adoption.
This workshop is for you if:
– the family you grew up in didn’t talk about racism or took a “colorblind” approach
– you feel nervous or unsure of whether or when you should talk with your kids about racism.
– your kids have started noticing racial differences or showing bias and you don’t know where to start.
– you want age-appropriate resources to help your kids develop an understanding about racism
This is an awareness and skill-building workshop about
* the nature of implicit bias
* looking at and getting past our own discomfort in talking about race and racism
* books to read and tips for talking with children of all ages in a way that builds a framework for conversations around anti-racism
* discussion of parenting around bystander intervention for interrupting racism.
* resource and book list for further self-education of parents that centers the work of people of color, particularly women
Workshop participants will be able to continue learning and supporting each other in an ongoing Facebook group.
Learn how to practice anti-racism in your homes and communities. Explore age-appropriate resources children from infant through early teenage years and learn why understanding privilege, bias, and racial identity is important.
EARLY BIRD TICKETS AVAILABLE FROM LINK ABOVE FOR A LIMITED TIME. Prices go up to $50/person and $90/pair after 5/12.
A majority of the proceeds (after costs) from this workshop will be donated to organizations doing anti-racism work in Southern Maine